Ricciardo: I know my situation, I know my future - Speedcafe

Daniel Ricciardo

The desire to dispel the speculation that has plagued him throughout the 2022 Formula 1 season prompted Daniel Ricciardo’s social media statement last week.

The Australian driver posted on his social channels a statement reaffirming his commitment to sport and McLaren.

He also confirmed his intention to see the rest of his contract which is valid until the end of 2023.

The 33-year-old has now moved to explain the reasons behind his post ahead of this weekend’s French Grand Prix.

“I know my situation, I know my future,” Ricciardo said in an interview with Fox Motorsport host Jessica Yates.

“We get to a point where everyone comes up with a different story every weekend, and I try to answer different ways of telling it.

“And I was like, let me get it straight and from the horse’s mouth, like we say.

“So it’s kind of like that, so people can hear from me, and try to lull it more than anything else and get them to ask me something new.”

That message, he admits, is not aimed purely at the media and its fans, but also those within the wider McLaren organization.

“Behind the scenes, there are so many people I work with at McLaren trying to understand what I feel in the car, and how to develop it, and how to take me to a place I clearly love. comfortable and then able to win the race,” said Ricciardo.

“There is so much work going on [on] after hours, if you know what I mean.

“There are hundreds and hundreds of people also at the factory who didn’t come to the track, which I’m sure reading the media, and also for them to hear from me – because if they do all this work and then they’re like ‘oh, what’s Daniel going to do? ?’

“You obviously want everyone to also support you and be on your side, and getting over it with them is also important. So I’ve done that.

“And we as a team didn’t have the best of years, so to tell them I’m with them, and I’m not backing down on this challenge, and I’m going through it with them,” he said. added.

“These kinds of things, you know, definitely carry a lot of weight, and it’s honest, and the intentions are real.”

Speculation surrounding Ricciardo’s future was fueled by McLaren’s ‘Testing Previous Car’ (TPC) programme.

That has seen Colton Herta get behind the wheel of last year’s car since the Austrian Grand Prix, while others belonging to the wider McLaren family, including Pato O’Ward also touted as potential candidates.

Others already on the F1 grid have been linked with the drive, including Pierre Gasly and, most recently, Sebastian Vettel.

“It’s just made by the media,” Ricciardo said of suggestions Herta could make for 2023.

“Every IndyCar driver who has done like some F1 testing, like Colton did, their program is completely IndyCar.

“This is an opportunity for them to get behind the wheel of F1 or whatever, but no crossover.

“I think the media kind of saw that and was like ‘oh, what’s going to happen? Does this have the potential to be an F1 seat?’

“That’s just what they do, but internally everything is very clear about where we stand as a team and who is driving what category.”

And that includes Ricciardo driving one of the two Formula 1 car operations for 2023, with confidence from Australia he can still deliver good results.

“It’s definitely not finished,” he said.

“I’m very confident that we can get some, I personally, can get some big results this year, and the years to come.

“It’s a bit like Monza last year. Like I said, I never left, and I feel the need to say it again.

“Obviously I’ll be waiting for the big results to say that, but in terms of anyone interested in me or supporting me, then I’m still very much here.”

Track the action at Paul Ricard this weekend starting at 22:00 AEST tonight with Free Practice 1.

Fox Sports and Kayo will do all the action throughout the event, with the race starting on Sunday at 23:00 AEST.

#Ricciardo #situation #future #Speedcafe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keary opens up about battle concussion after 'nervous' return, revealing teammates preparing to rest