One item every traveler on a budget should pack

THAT’S PACK

Since I work and travel around Southeast Asia, often staying in budget hotels, I’ve packed bubble wrap. It has many uses, such as ensuring a precious piece of porcelain goes home intact but is also great for sliding under doors to block out light or noise. Crimped, it can serve as an additional neck rest.

Tina Faulk, Gladesville, NSW

OPEN AND CLOSE CASES

Given the increasing number of lost bags, a tip I read a few years ago might help. The last thing you should put in your bag, in order to be above all else, is a piece of A4 paper with your name, destination address and contact details, both phone and email. That way, if your bag gets lost, when the airline folks open the bag they have all the information they need. It’s a simple thing and can save you a lot of anxiety (although, thankfully, I haven’t needed it, so far).

Ron Wessel, Mount St Thomas, NSW

DRY IDEA

Regarding your request for tips on items that make travel more comfortable (Traveler’s Letter, July 2) I always pack my plastic inflatable hangers. They take up very little space in a suitcase when packed flat but when inflated they keep T-shirts and shirts in perfect condition as they dry and can be hung in the bathroom or on a window or balcony or anywhere convenient. I’ve even used it in hotels that have a “no hand washing” policy, rolling my washed T-shirt into a bath towel, then hanging it in the shower overnight and hiding it in the wardrobe the next morning to continue drying. I hate paying for anything I can easily do myself and my coat hanger is an indispensable help for this.

Ro Bailey, Hawthorn, Vic

FEEL LACK

Need a bag for your dirty laundry? Tip. Choose a men’s shirt with a tight collar. Button all the way. Throw in everything else, starting with the big ones to fill the collar holes. Yes, it’s worth it for that neck strangler and not carrying a laundry bag reduces your luggage by up to 18 grams.

Peter Molding, Umina Beach, NSW

THIS WEEK’S LETTER

BEAGLE EYES

I agree, regarding your article on “the art of hotel room naming” (Traveler, 2 July, that Hotel Kurrajong in Canberra is worth the stay, with historical links to one of our greatest PMs making it all the more worthwhile. Elsewhere, Gardner’s Inn at Blackheath in the Blue Mountains, NSW is also privileged to have hosted Charles Darwin in 1836 during his formative trip around the world on the HMS Beagle. There’s a plaque at the inn acknowledging the event and, given Darwin’s importance to science and the way we now see the world, I’m often surprised that he doesn’t live in Blackheath. Accommodation at Gardner’s Inn isn’t on par with Kurrajong, but it’s clean, comfortable, and inexpensive, and it’s central to many of the Blue Mountains’ best sights.

David Towson, Mortdale, NSW

OH TAPY DAY

Back letter from John Darmody (Rants & raves, July 2). My Westpac Mastercard was canceled due to fraud and replaced within two weeks. To survive, the bank made the card available on the Westpac app within two days so I could at least tap for any purchases. This is a backup in case you prefer a physical card and need to continue your journey.

Paul Jones, Berowra Heights, NSW

YOU WILL NOT CREDIT IT

Michael Gebicki’s column on traveling by card or cash (TravelerJune 27) reminds me of our trip to Bhutan when it just opened to tourists. The hotel at that time was pre-paid and there was hardly any use of credit cards for extras at the hotel or on the road. We calculated the costs and brought in a much larger amount of US dollars than expected. After triple checking that our last international hotel, took a credit card, we had enough money to buy a beautiful necklace I found. We ate at the hotel for a few days so the charge was on our hotel bill, but upon check out, it turned out that they didn’t have credit card facilities. After a long discussion amid concerns about catching our flight, a solution was found. Our Bhutan travel agent, over the phone, guaranteed to pay the bill and entrusted us to pay by wire transfer when we returned to Australia. Good memories and I’m not sure what the solution is today when credit cards fail.

Heather Barker, Albert Park, Vic

COMMUNITY WITHOUT CASH

It wasn’t until I arrived in Helsinki from Sydney in May that I realized I wasn’t thinking about traveling with money. As a seasoned, but rusty traveler, in all my travel preparations (focusing on bookings and vaccine requirements), I completely forgot about this important detail. I have €50 cash from my 2019 trip, a Qantas Mastercard credit card and an ING Orange Everyday card, but no plans to get cash. I soon found out that I had to rely on my credit card for purchases and cash withdrawals (expensive). When I ventured out to explore Helsinki, I mistakenly offered my ING card for purchase and was pleasantly surprised when it was received. For four weeks, the card is as good as cash on all purchases in Finland, France and Spain. Still thinking I might need cash, I easily withdrew €100 cash from an ATM (with the Maestro symbol) also using my ING card. I returned to Sydney with €90 cash, after learning that cashless was, in fact, the way to go.

Vicki Tennant, Surry Hills, NSW

CAPITAL BENEFITS

Michael Thomas (Traveler’s Letter, July 2) asked why Canberra airport is so efficient for scanning. Most politicians use it twice a week when the federal parliament is sitting. They clearly don’t like being detained so airports invest heavily to keep our politicians happy and give them fewer opportunities to complain.

Lindsay Somerville, Lindfield, NSW

OH (NO) CANADA

I sympathize with Map Colebatch and his nightmare with Air Canada (Traveler’s Letter, July 2). He’s not alone. Before COVID-19, I traveled to Canada almost every year, always in business class. After two bad experiences with Air Canada, I now fly with Air New Zealand or Japan Airlines (JAL). I have found the customer service with both airlines to be excellent.

Wendy Meads, Fadden, ACT

Colebatch Peta Map Letter recounting his woes flying with Air Canada would seem to reinforce the airline’s long-held unofficial adage: “we’re not happy unless you’re unhappy”.

Ross MacPherson, Seaforth, NSW

OH (YES) CANADA

I had the opposite experience with Colebatch map flying Air Canada. Two weeks ago I flew Sydney’s AC business to Vancouver where I connected to Chicago. Having flown North America in December and January, I was hoping things could be a little unpredictable. Arriving in Vancouver, I was asked to sit down and watch the confirmation on the big screen that my luggage was in transit between two planes then the confirmation was loaded. I arrived in Chicago and my bag was fourth on the carousel. Chicago to Toronto, again flying Air Canada, as simple as a flight two days later back to Vancouver. Having flown Air Canada many times before COVID-19, I had some doubts about the planes and their services. The 787 I recently boarded was immaculate and the service impeccable. When I have a problem like the Colebatch Map has, I just call my travel agent and travel insurance company and ask them to sort it out.

Mark Swanton, Bondi Beach, NSW

FOREIGNER’S GOODNESS

In May, my sister and I spent two weeks in London, exploring this great city and enjoying the excitement of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations. At Heathrow, ready to return to Australia, we ran into a dilemma: my sister’s return visa had not arrived and as a result, we were unable to board the plane. Two elderly and somewhat depressed women left the airport in search of accommodation. We tried three hotels before we found a room at Moxy London Heathrow Airport, Hounslow. Thanks to the staff at Moxy, namely Linda, Russell and Ansell, who all showed us such great kindness. Thanks also to Raj at Heathrow Qantas customer service. And to Lauren in Bowral, NSW, Flight Centre, who, with my daughter Samantha in Sydney, arranged our flight home.

Lily Murray, Bowral, NSW

TIPS OF THE WEEK

PLASTIC NOT VERY FANTASTIC

For those who are worried about credit cards on the go, I recommend buying Apple Pay or its Google equivalent and a limited amount of cash. Store your plastic in a safe and hard to access place. Then use your phone for all credit card transactions. If you lose your phone, it’s password protected and won’t threaten your account with the plastic that serves as a backup for a new phone. We traveled through Spain including Barcelona where thieves prey on tourists and never use plastic. Street stalls occasionally require cash, but that’s about it.

Peter Single, Lane Cove, NSW

OFF BIG

When traveling and enjoying hands-on experiences, remember to keep your cell phone and other electronic devices handy. Better yet, leave them when you can. Disconnecting from digital and connecting with the real world around us is second to none. You will have memories for a lifetime if you open yourself up and look around. We don’t need a lot of filtered photos,

Stephanie Ashworth, Pascoe Vale South, Vic

POSTING IMMEDIATELY

Passport processing time improved. When I submitted my update on June 2, I was warned it could take 10 weeks. On June 27, an email told me it was in the mail. It arrived on July 1st. So, four weeks instead of 10.

Colin Parks, Canberra, ACT

KEEN BEACH

Joining Australians visiting Bali was never on my travel wish list but reading your report on the island’s Potato Head Beach Club has changed my mind (Traveler3 July). Potato Head’s “good times make good” philosophy, which is “constantly pursuing and providing ways to live better and more responsibly, while having great fun along the way” is perfect. A fun, delicious and engaging travel experience that is zero-waste, carbon-neutral and truly supports local communities, is exactly what the conscious traveler is looking for.

Amy Hiller, Kew, Vic

EDITORS’ NOTE: Earlier this week we ran an additional mailing page featuring reader feedback about Qantas. You can read about it here.

WRITE TO US AND WIN

The author of The Letter of the Week won a Hardie Grant travel book worth over $100. For the month of July, it includes Vantastic by Kate Ulman; Wonders of the Great World by Michael Turtle; and Ultimate Weekends Australia by Emma Shaw.

See hardigrant.com

The author of The Tip of the Week won a set of three great Lonely Planet travel books, including Ultimate Australia Travel List, The Travel Book, and Armchair Explorer.

See shop.lonelyplanet.com

HOW TO WRITE TO US

We give preference to letters that are 100 words or less and can be edited for space, legal or other reasons. Please use complete sentences, do not use textspeak and do not include attachments. Email us at travellerletters@traveller.com.au and, most importantly, include your name, address and phone number.


#item #traveler #budget #pack

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keary opens up about battle concussion after 'nervous' return, revealing teammates preparing to rest