Exclusive: Neighbors star in Glen ending and show finale

Neighbor spoilers to follow.

As we get closer to the end Neighbor, Digital Spy continues our series of interviews with the current cast to help celebrate their work on the show.

Today, we meet Richard Huggett, who reprises his role as Glen Donnelly in 2021 after a nearly 30 year absence from cinema.

Chatting just a few weeks before filming ended, Richard reflected on his return as Glen and the decision to bring in Neighbor came to a conclusion after 37 years.

richard huggett as glen donnelly in the neighbor

FremantleChannel 5

What was the atmosphere like on set when you shot this final episode?

“The atmosphere on set was quite depressing. People were happy-sad! This is real and everyone has a different journey they take, and a different story they have to tell about their feelings.

“For me, it’s: ‘What’s next?’ There are other things I’ve been aiming for – and for a lot of people it’s the same. They wish they could just jump right into another job, which is pretty much impossible for an actor.”

Can you tease the last episode?

“It’s beautifully written, very touching and very celebratory.”

Was it surprising when news came that the show was over?

“I think when I first rejoined the cast about a year ago, there was uncertainty as to whether the show would continue.

“When it was confirmed earlier this year, that’s when it really took people by surprise – especially the long-term crew and cast. The reality hit. Though even now, people don’t believe that it will end.”

Are you glad the team was given the time to plan a fitting ending?

“Oh, of course. I’m glad there was time to plan the ending.

“I’m also glad that Neighbor it would end in a merry way instead of a tornado, or everyone else falling into a giant sinkhole. It’s great that we’ve been given so much time to plan and prepare.”

leo tanaka, aaron brennan, david tanaka and glen donnelly in the neighbors

FremantleChannel 5

Did Glen’s storyline have to change since the cancellation was announced?

“I think everything has gone according to plan, as far as I know. We have Kiri’s story, Terese’s story and the vineyard story with the accident.

“Everything came together and was settled, so I think it played out as they planned. I don’t think anything has changed with the way.”

What do you think of Glen and Terese’s seemingly doomed relationship?

“I think Glen needs Terese more than he needs her. He still has a relationship with Paul and that worries Glen a lot. I think he needs him a bit too much.”

How do you feel about the return of Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan?

“There’s a rumor going around that they’re coming back, and then a rumor that they’re not coming back. Then suddenly Jason is here because of his daughter Jemma [who played Harlow] go. He had come here to help Jemma get back to England.

“Kylie has moved back to Australia, so it makes sense that they would show up. It’s exciting that they’ve returned. It just adds to the whole thing.

“I guess I’m surprised they’re back, but then again, it’s the show that got them going, so they’re probably very grateful to be asked to come back.”

What is your fondest memory playing Glen?

“My favorite storyline was when Glen first came back this time and surprised Paul. The scene we shot where Paul was looking out to sea and Glen appeared behind him and said: ‘It’s been a long time’. Favorite scene to shoot.

“All River Bend stuff is great and works with Stefan [Dennis, who plays Paul] and Rebekah [Elmaloglou, who plays Terese]. I have worked with them a lot, and of course Tim [Kano, who plays Leo] as well. There’s a great group of people to work with.”

Glen donnelly in the neighbor

FremantleChannel 5

Do you have your least favorite storyline?

“I think they’re all great! My least favorite storyline is when none of the storyline is actually happening. Once you have the main storyline, you calm down a bit and you’re just there in the background. You’re still part of the story.” scenes but nothing really happened. That’s the part I didn’t like the most.”

What do you make of the outpouring of love? Neighbor received when the cancellation was announced?

“It was just incredible, especially on social media with the number of fans praying for us all. You don’t realize how much you love it – and people who have watched it from the start and haven’t missed an episode.

“It’s pretty weird, because I haven’t seen that many shows from start to finish, especially in 37 years! It’s amazing to feel love.”

Can Neighbor return?

“I think we have to accept that it’s over, in the end. Because the actors would go on to other things and move on, for example! I don’t know how that will work.

“Without the British broadcaster I don’t see that happening unless someone steps in to be a savior. We have to accept that it’s the end and celebrate it.”

If the show continues, will you stick around after June?

“Yes, definitely. If I were asked to stay outside, I would stay. I can’t say how long I will stay, because that will depend on the story and what else will be out there.

“But I’m definitely going to stick around because I’m having fun and I love Melbourne too.”

Nicolette Stone was displeased with Glen Donnelly coming between her and Kiri Hua Durant in the neighbors

FremantleChannel 5

What are your future plans?

“I’ve auditioned for other series. Mainly short, six-part series for several streaming services. I’m just waiting to hear back.

“Besides, I’ll be moving back to Brisbane and doing road trips along the way, driving across the country as it will take a few weeks to get back. I’m just going to see what happens and see where the work takes me.”

Do you want Glen to have a happy ending?

“Yeah sure, because Glen had a sad ending last time when he fell off the roof! It was like when the barrel fell on him in the vineyard. I thought: ‘Oh no, not again!’ It’s very important that he has a happy resolve – some kind of resolution.”

Do you have any input on Glen’s final weeks?

“No, I just let the storytellers, writers and producers do all that. You can always go up to them and say ‘I have an idea’ but they usually say, ‘Yeah, Good… Yes, maybe next time…’ (Laugh.) They have had complete control over the last few months.”

Are you going to steal something from the set?

“Maybe just a few jeans! Glen wears nice jeans, so I asked the wardrobe clerk if I could have them. So maybe just a little costume.

“I think with props you can’t take anything otherwise it will be free for all, with a crew that has been there for 30 years. So no, just some clothes!”

Check out more Digital Spy Neighbor final interview:

Channel 5 breaks the active silence Neighbor ending, fan reactions and big final night plans

Neighbor Takaya Honda stars on the secret exit plan and the end of the show

Neighbor April star Rose Pengilly on the ax show, Elly’s return and Chloe’s memories

Neighbor star Geoff Paine explains Clive’s absence and the end of the teasing show

Neighbor Charlotte Chimes stars on the deleted Nicolette story and the end of the show

Neighbor airs weekdays at 1:45 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Channel 5 and streams on My5. The series finale will premiere in the UK on July 29 at 9 p.m. on Channel 5.

In Australia, the show airs Monday through Thursday 6:30pm on 10 Peach and streams on 10 Play. The series finale will premiere in Australia on 28 July at 7:30 p.m., broadcast simultaneously on 10 and 10 Peach.

Read more Neighbor spoilers on our special homepage

This content is created and maintained by third parties, and imported to this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on piano.io

#Exclusive #Neighbors #star #Glen #show #finale

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keary opens up about battle concussion after 'nervous' return, revealing teammates preparing to rest