An unwritten story: Chanel Harris-Tavita about life after footy

Chanel Harris-Tavita still doesn’t know what she wants to do next year, except that it won’t involve rugby league and will definitely include more time dedicated to her love of writing.

Having made the decision in May to step out of the game at the end of the season, the 23-year-old is still figuring out what version of himself he will be after the NRL.

He had been inundated with questions, advice and cautionary tales from all angles since he announced the news, but through it all never doubted he was doing the right thing.

“The way I see it is that the only person who needs to understand my decision is me, and I know deep down that it was the right decision for me,” Harris-Tavita told NRL.com.

I know the people closest to me understand where I come from. I don’t need to convince anyone else why I made this decision.


Chanel Harris-Tavita

“In the end, it was in my best interest and I did what was best for me.”

Honest decision

Throughout his time in rugby league Craig Hodges, general manager of football at the Warriors, has seen many players continue to make moves long after their hearts have left the game.

He cited the fact that Harris-Tavita was honest enough to recognize the need for change, and then acted on it, talking about her character.

“I’m sure there are a lot of people in our game at every different club playing because they can make more money doing this than doing anything else,” Hodges told NRL.com.

“They may not always like the league and they may not enjoy what they do, but they happen to be talented at it and that is their career.

It takes extraordinary fortitude for a young man [Chanel’s] age to be able to say ‘this is not what I want at this stage of my life’.


Craig Hodges
Warriors football general manager

“I guess you could call it brave, but I think honesty is the key word. He’s really true to himself.”

Harris-Tavita adds that she is fortunate to be in a position where she is able to sacrifice her impending financial security by signing a new contract, and if she gets itchy again she believes she can return to the NRL.

“I’m blessed to be in my position, to step away from the game and go and chase something else,” he said.

“I’m resting, not retiring. If I want to come back in two or three years, then I feel like I’m young enough to get myself back into shape.

“I may never come back, that’s the truth.”



Harris-Tavita scores a try you have to see to believe

New interest

As the pandemic gripped Australasia in early 2020 and the Telstra NRL Premiership was suspended, it was like many Harris-Tavita players that suddenly had a lot of free time on their hands.

It was at this point that she started journaling and became more interested in reading about personal growth and self-improvement, which eventually led her to start her blog simplessons.com where she reviews books and offers thoughts on various topics she is interested in. .

“I am interested in continuing to write. I will invest more time in it when I stop playing footy,” said Harris-Tavita.

“I have a few customers now and they email me every now and then to thank me and ask questions, and I want to get back to them.

“I will pick up other hobbies along the way. I’m not too sure what it is, but it’s the interesting part for me, getting away from what I know and entering the unknown.

“I was looking forward to doing a bit of traveling. I’ve always wanted to go to America just because Home Alone is one of my favorite movies!

“I will definitely be spending a little time with my family until December and then from January onwards I will go with the flow.”

His legacy in the league

The Warriors knew they had something special right away with Harris-Tavita.
He made his first start at the National Youth Competition on his 17th birthday, the first day he was eligible to play, and almost exactly three years later made his NRL debut in 2019, where he was already a familiar face in the world. wider. first class group.

“There are three tiers that determine when you return to pre-season each year depending on how much you’ve done. I think I’m almost at senior level and I haven’t even played 50 NRL games,” said Harris-Tavita.

“I started training with a first-class squad very young… it felt like I had been doing it for ages, much longer than I did (in fact).

“I’m looking forward to getting some rest… I’ve had a few surgeries, so I’m looking forward to resting my body and not having to tackle 110kg props every week.”



Amazing try: Harris-Tavita’s silly kick

But that doesn’t mean he still has some high goals for the rest of the year, and it’s clear the Warriors still see him as a key figure for this season.

That point was best illustrated in last Sunday’s homecoming game against the Tigers, when interim Warriors coach Stacey Jones removed Harris-Tavita from his position at full-back on short notice for the club’s most important game of the year.

He rewarded that belief with a strong display that included trial, 153 yards and some great defensive play.

“It was a bit of a no-brainer to move it back there…. I thought he was amazing,” Jones said of Harris-Tavita’s performance.

“He made a big decision [for next year]but part of that decision is making sure that he commits to the rest of the year.”



Garner makes breakthrough but Harris-Tavita saves the day

Harris-Tavita is also eyeing World Cup success at the end of this season with Samoa, whom he has represented in two Trials so far.

“I would love to go to the World Cup and try it… I think if we get a fully fit squad then we will be World Cup challengers,” he said.

“That would be a good way to finish the year and then it might be the end of my career, who knows.”

#unwritten #story #Chanel #HarrisTavita #life #footy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keary opens up about battle concussion after 'nervous' return, revealing teammates preparing to rest