A side business isn't always just about money. Sometimes they are fun

More and more Australians are turning to creative ways of earning a side income, many combining a second gig with pursuing their hobby.

Data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows that 867,000 Australians have odd jobs, ranging from odd jobs to running their own businesses.

Ben Svenson’s day job is in the steel manufacturing business while his partner Evie Black is a dental nurse.

Their passion for fishing is shared on several social media accounts as Northern Addicts, from which they earn their income through sponsorship and clothing sales.

“It’s easier to collect content when it’s something you’re passionate about,” says Ben.

“Ultimately you have to enjoy what you’re doing. So fishing is what we enjoy.”

His favorite aspects of the Northern Addicts account are the people he meets and the relationships he builds with those who follow the pair.

“I’m a Sydney Swans supporter and I’m constantly talking to some of the boys from the Sydney Swans,” he said.

“They are quite interested in coming fishing at some stage, so hopefully that develops. I also talked to some of the boys from the NRL.

Hand in hand

William Upchurch works at the City of Greater Geraldton Regional Art Gallery in addition to creating and selling his own art.

He says the latter is more about spending more time on his creative passion than earning extra income.

“I think the money is a bonus,” he said.

“I really enjoy the creative process. And then being able to sell it and make people appreciate what I make is really special.”

Man in red shirt and glasses uses chalk to draw old man on chair.
Will Upchurch is a talented artist who sells works from pottery to painting. (Provided: Will Upchurch)

Mr Upchurch said the job complemented his permanent part-time role at the gallery.

“I enjoy a regular work balance three days a week, and then being able to pour the extra time into my creative stuff,” she says.

Upchurch also said that he needed to learn business skills to accompany his skills as an artist.

“The business side is much more difficult,” he said.

“When you create something, you put your time and creativity into it, and then you put a price on it.

“It’s scary. If people don’t buy it, maybe they don’t like your art. Or are you too expensive?

“So I’ve spent a lot of time researching.”

Load

Flexibility for other hobbies

Brooke Smit studied social work part-time at the Geraldton Universities Centre, worked in a cafe, and ran her own business as a support worker.

“My work as a support worker complements my studies, namely social work. It helps me to do my job,” she said.

“Cafe work is completely different. I still work with people, but it gives me some diversity in my work and it’s always something interesting to do.”

Woman in blue and rashie standing on surfboard
Working in hospitality and running his own business gives Brook Smit the flexibility to enjoy his hobby.(Provided: Brooke Smit)

Ms Smit says that running her own business gives her flexibility when her other roles are stressful.

“Having my own business as a support worker helps me take time off when needed … so it’s less stressful that way.

“Sometimes I feel tired, but I love what I do.”

#side #business #isnt #money #fun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keary opens up about battle concussion after 'nervous' return, revealing teammates preparing to rest