12 months passed: How long does it take to heal old wounds for the Maroons

Whether it’s a late night knock on their hotel door or a phone call from Billy Slater, 12 months have passed for the last minute calls of Queensland’s Tom Dearden and Corey Oates.

Both at different stages of their NRL careers, the pair have gone through a similar but very different journey in the past year to take their place in the Ampol Country of Origin decider.

For Dearden, who came to the Origin arena on his debut, the past year has included going from the next best-half Broncos prodigy to being an outcast, then moving north to Townsville to relaunch his career.

With just four wins in 22 appearances in three difficult seasons at the Broncos, Dearden has turned his Cowboys career around and if he starts from five-eighth on Wednesday night, becomes a vital cog in Queensland’s attack.

“If you had gone back 12 months or even six months ago, I wouldn’t have imagined myself coming to these camps,” Dearden said on Sunday.

“To be able to get my debut now, it’s unreal and it’s a really good turnaround. I am also happy and proud of myself.

“The biggest thing I’ve learned is to stick with it. It was a tough few years to start my NRL career but I still really love playing footy and that’s what I keep telling myself.


Slater believes Maroon can fill Munster’s vacancy

“I’m starting to really enjoy my footy and I think I’m getting paid for it.”

Dearden got the shock of his life on Friday night when Slater knocked on his door at the camp at Sanctuary Cove to let him know that Cameron Munster had tested positive for COVID-19.

It was Munster’s next move that Dearden was ready to return the favor.

“He called me and congratulated me on the news and said the players supported me to make my debut,” Dearden said.

“I know how devastated he is to lose the decider, but no one can help.

“I don’t think there’s a better time to debut than a decider at Suncorp.”

Oates, who returned to the Origin arena after eight games between 2016-2019, praised his former Broncos playmaker while also reflecting on his grueling 12-month journey.

The 27-year-old almost retired with a freak injury and fell in love with the game in 2021 after his slump coincided with Brisbane’s struggles.

“You look back now and the way I’ve been about it all I think shows where in my life and career I am,” Oates said.

Classic determination: QLD v NSW, 2011

Sign up for a free NRL Account to access these videos and other exclusive content.

List

Already have an NRL Account? Join

Not sure?

Learn more about NRL Accounts.

“My head is not in the right place and I don’t listen to people. I never thought this was a possibility again. It was a wake-up call, which I needed.

“There are a lot of people who make me come back to a small section to enjoy my footy again, let alone play in first grade. To get a call from Bill, I really can’t believe it.”

Of Dearden, who he watched come through the Broncos during his three seasons at Red Hill, Oates added the Cowboys playmaker had proved people wrong after a breakthrough year in North Queensland.

“I’ve always said it would be great to see him with Reyno (Adam Reynolds) but part of his career and the way the club is is a tough decision for Tommy. [to leave] but he knew in his mind he knew it would always be right,” Oates said.

#months #passed #long #heal #wounds #Maroons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keary opens up about battle concussion after 'nervous' return, revealing teammates preparing to rest