McGrath made it four out of four as his average hit 247

Lanning, McGrath punishes Ireland, Schutt hits milestone in big win

Tahlia McGrath’s transformation into one of Australia’s most dangerous T20 guns is such that she can hardly believe what she has done since her debut last year.

McGrath, who had just won 70 of 45 games against Ireland on Thursday, looked surprised to learn that it was the first time he had been sent off in T20I, and his hitting average in his current format is in a healthy position. 247.

“This is it… not bad!” McGrath laughed in his usually humble manner.

Since earning his first T20I cap against India in October 2021 on the Gold Coast, McGrath’s scores in the four games he has played make for very impressive readings: 42no, 44no, 91no and 70.

Named Player of the Match in each of his four games, McGrath said the depth of the Australian batting unit allowed him to play with complete freedom, as did genuine love and appreciation for pulling out greens and gold.

‘A little fun’: McGrath enjoys the freedom of the T20 format

“The thing about the T20 format for me is there’s so much freedom,” he said.

“I felt as if when I came into goal I had been given permission to play my shot and I know that if it doesn’t work out for me the talent we have is huge.

“I love playing for Australia, wherever it is, wherever I play (or) what role I play.

“The fact that I will be playing at the Commonwealth Games is very, very cool and not something I thought I would do.

“So just riding the waves at the moment, loving my cricket and hopefully (I’ll) get a gold medal soon.”

McGrath, who joined captain Meg Lanning for a 140-run partnership on Thursday, put together a free innings that was a mix of trademark hard-hitting drives as well as a series of impeccably well-timed reverse sweeps that left Irish bowlers and fielders scrambling.

With the calmness that Lanning’s presence gave McGrath in the middle, he saw an opportunity to get creative.

“I’d been working a little bit the other way around and then just thought (it was) the perfect opportunity to try something so I gave it a go,” McGrath explained.

“Lucky it happened today, it may not go away all the time but it happened today.

“I love hitting with Meg and if there’s one shot I can steal anyone, it’s a six-footed shot from her, it’s incredible.

“I always feel very calm whenever I’m in the fold with him. He makes things happen, the scoreboard is always ticking when I hit with him.”

McGrath also paid tribute to fellow South Australian Megan Schutt, who became only the second Australian bowler – male or female – to reach the T20 international 100 hurdles.

Schutt, who hit 100 scalps from 77 innings, is the second fastest woman to reach the milestone behind Anya Shrubsole (74) and the sixth woman overall to record 100 T20I wickets.

“We’re pretty close as a (South Australian) crew, we often do cops whenever we get together but I’m sure he’ll tell us all it’s 100 wickets. He likes to brag about that stuff,” laughed McGrath.

“He really flies under the radar. He’s an important part of our team and he’s really good at bringing new bowlers under his wing and helping them out and pass on his knowledge.”

Australian Tour in England, 2022

Australia squad: Meg Lanning (c), Rachael Haynes (vc), Darcie Brown, Nicola Carey, Ashleigh Gardner, Heather Graham, Grace Harris, Alyssa Healy, Jess Jonassen, Alana King, Tahlia McGrath, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Annabel Sutherland , Amanda-Jade Wellington

T20 Tri-Series

Ireland squad: Laura Delany (c), Ava Canning, Rachel Delaney, Georgina Dempsey, Amy Hunter, Arlene Kelly, Gaby Lewis, Sophie MacMahon, Jane Maguire, Cara Murray, Leah Paul, Orla Prendergast, Rebecca Stokell, Mary Waldron

Pakistan squad: Bismah Maroof (c), Aimen Anwar, Aliya Riaz, Anam Amin, Ayesha Naseem, Diana Baig, Fatima Sana, Gul Feroza, Iram Javed, Kainat Imtiaz, Muneeba Ali Siddiqui, Nida Dar, Omaima Sohail, Sadia Iqbal, Tuba Hassan

July 16: Australia v Pakistan: no results

July 17: Australia beat Ireland with nine wickets

July 19: Pakistan beat Ireland by 13 runs (DLS)

July 21: Australia beat Ireland with 63 runs

July 23: Australia vs Pakistan

July 24: Ireland vs Pakistan

All matches start at 16:00 local time (1am AEST) and are played at Bready Cricket Club, Derry, Northern Ireland

Australia’s T20 tri-series match will be broadcast in Australia on Foxtel and Kayo Sports, while the match between Pakistan and Ireland can be streamed live here


2022 Commonwealth Games

July 29 v India (11am local time, 8pm AEST)

July 31 v Barbados (18.00 local, 03.00 August 1 AEST)

August 3rd v Pakistan (11am, 8pm AEST)

Group A: Australia, India, Pakistan, Barbados

Group B: England, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka

Semi-finals: August 6th, 11:00am local (8pm AEST) and 6:00pm local (3am August 7th AEST)

Bronze medal match: August 7, 10:00 local (19:00 AEST)

Gold medal match: August 7th, 5:00pm local (2am August 8th AEST)

All matches played at Edgbaston Stadium

#McGrath #average #hit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keary opens up about battle concussion after 'nervous' return, revealing teammates preparing to rest